2 USA duck breasts
½ tsp 5-spice powder
½ tsp Szechuan pepper
Salt and pepper
3 russet potatoes
2 stalks thyme/rosemary
1 purple carrot
1 orange carrot
Passion fruit sauce
3 passion fruit
70 ml whiskey
2 star anise
100 ml maple syrup
10 g black treacle or molasses
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Place the duck breast on a chopping board, skinside up and using a sharp knife, score the skin in a diagonal direction. Then turn the duck breast around and score in the opposite direction.
- Season the duck breast with 5-spice powder, salt and Szechuan pepper. Set aside for at least an hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the passion fruit sauce, cut fruits into halves, remove the pulp and seeds and add to a small saucepan.
- Next, add the whiskey and star anise and bring to a boil to burn off the alcohol. Once it is boiling, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the maple syrup and black treacle and bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat to allow the ingredients to infuse. Reheat the sauce when ready to use.
- Wash and cut the potatoes into bite-size chunks and place into baking tray. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix well to coat and add the thyme or rosemary. Roast in the oven at 190°C for about 15 mins.
- Heat an oven proof frying pan on high heat. Once the pan is very hot, place the duck breast, skin-side down, into the pan. Reduce heat so that it gently fries and cook for 5 mins until golden brown.
- Transfer the frying pan into the oven and cook the breast for 2 mins on one side, turn the duck breast over and cook for another 2 mins.
- Remove from the oven and transfer duck onto a board or plate and allow to rest in a warm place for 5 mins.
- To prepare the carrot fettuccine, peel skin off carrots with a peeler, then continue peeling off the carrots, strip by strip. Transfer to a mixing bowl, rinse it with some running water, drain and add some olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice before plating.
- Slice the duck breast into ¼ inch thick slices, plate and spoon the warm passion fruit sauce over just before serving.
Cook the duck breasts, skin-side down, for 5-6 mins until golden. Turn over and cook for a further 3-4 mins, depending on how pink you like your duck.